Sunday, March 10, 2013

2nd Scrutiny Homily

Today we celebrate "Laetare" Sunday which is Latin for "rejoice" taken from the opening antiphon for the fourth Sunday of Lent which says "Rejoice, O Jerusalem." During the season of Lent we should ask ourselves what we have to "rejoice" about when this season is filled with a penitential character and we are being encouraged to fast from the things of the world. As Easter draws near we have every reason to "rejoice." With the Resurrection of Christ from the dead we will be able to "rejoice" at the fact that death has been conquered. On Holy Thursday we will "rejoice" at the institution of the Holy Eucharist because Christ desires to bring nourishment within our lives. On Good Friday we will mourn the death of Christ upon the cross, but from it we will be given reason to "rejoice" because our sins have been forgiven. We "rejoice" at the reality that Lent helps us to do spiritual cleansing within our souls, so that when these days approach we will be prepared. As we prepare for these holy days that lie ahead we must be open to the mercy of God that is always present if we are willing to open our eyes to it.

Saint John's Gospel presents us with the reality of blindness and our need to turn to Christ in order to be healed. Christ slowly moves this man from his blindness and progresses him towards sight that allows the light of Christ to enter into his life. Christ's actions return our minds to the creation of the world in Genesis when humanity was formed from clay. In the clay that was placed upon his eyes an invitation was given to turn away from his old self and to become a new creation. From here he bathed himself in water and walked out from the waters with the ability to see. He took a journey from darkness into light that we all join him upon. From the waters of baptism we were washed clean of original sin and became a new creation. With sin washed away our eyes were opened to the light of Christ. Thankfully during the moments that we return to the darkness of sin the mercy of The Lord endures forever and for that we "rejoice."

These readings that we encounter today were required to be read for the second scrutiny that is celebrated today. The scrutinies are the final path of preparation that those to be baptized receive prior to the Easter Vigil when they will enter into the waters of baptism. Elaine Carson and Kimberly Mostad, who join us today, are the catechumens from this parish who have the desire to enter into the life of the Church through baptism. In their journey of faith they join the blind man's example in his desire to see the profound light of Christ. They have shown their desire to see this profound light through their education in the RCIA program. In a few weeks they will enter into baptism overturning the effects of original sin within their lives. Their blindness will then be removed as they enter into beholding the light of Christ through the Sacraments of the Church. We join with them in our prayers as they prepare today for repentance and the conversion of life that awaits them in the waters of baptism.

May their journey of faith help to inspire us towards repentance. We are all in need of the mercy of God and that mercy awaits us if we so desire it to enter into our lives. Through the mercy of God our eyes that have grown blind to sin can be opened to the great light of Christ. Saint Paul extended this invitation to us in his desire that we would turn away from the death of sin and enter into the life of Christ. In the areas of our life where sin has entered we have entered into death. Thankfully the hope of mercy remains if we are willing to accept it into our lives instead of trusting inside of own pride. Through the Sacrament of Reconciliation our pride can be conquered and we can behold the light of Christ that is found when we are free from sin. We have reason to "rejoice" through this sacrament because our souls can be restored to the state of our baptisms. For those who have been away from the Sacrament for a long time I encourage you to return to it because it can be this simple:

Bless me Father for I have sinned it has been twenty years since my last confession and these are my sins. I have missed Mass on both Sundays and Holy Days of Obligation on multiple occasions. I was aware of the Church's teaching concerning abstinence from meat on Fridays, but followed my own desires instead. I have lied on many occasions especially to my wife. I have looked at immodest images and have done impure actions with myself. I have overindulged in the use of alcohol. I have put the many concerns of the world before my relationship with God and therefore have failed to pray. While driving I have been filled with uncontrollable rage at other drivers and have had a lack of patience at red lights. I have used fowl language and have been a horrible example of a Christian to my friends. Pride has consumed my life because I notice times where I do things only to be seen and thus exalted. I have cut down my friends and fellow workers through my own words. I have had a countless amount of opportunities to give to charity, but my greed has kept me from giving as I ought. And worst of all I have received Holy Communion in the state of mortal sin. These and all the sins that I have forgotten please grant me forgiveness.

The mercy of God is this simple to receive if we are willing to allow God to restore sight to our eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment