Sunday, July 21, 2019

16th Sunday of OT Year C Homily

My name is Father Dustin Collins and I have been appointed by Bishop Stika to be the administrator of this parish community. I know that you miss Father Peter, but I assure you that Our Lady of Fatima Parish will take good care of him and as you already know has also gained a good priest and pastor. I for one am happy to be here. I am especially happy that I continue to find myself under the protective care of our Blessed Mother. My first assignment as a priest was Saint Mary Parish in Oak Ridge, my second being Our Lady of Fatima, and now I find myself here with you. I like your seminarian, Deacon Zach, attended Davy Crockett High School in Jonesborough. Go Pioneers! We can debate that after Mass in case you are associated with a different high school. 

As I begin my time at this parish community we are given a great lesson in the importance of hospitality. I was blessed with eight years of seminary formation which was founded in the Benedictian tradition. My final four years were at Saint Meinrad Seminary where I had little overlap with your associate pastor, Father Jesus. The opening words of the 53rd chapter of the Rule of Saint Benedict state: “Let all guests be welcomed as Christ.” Our readings today model this statement.

In Genesis we saw Abraham’s hospitality shown to three men. Abraham lived in the midst of a culture which valued hospitality. Here it was acknowledged that one never knows when they will become dependent upon the hospitality of another. Therefore, a stranger should expect this treatment. Throughout this passage we are given a list of verbs which show Abraham’s eagerness to fulfill this role: “he ran to meet them,” “quickly three measures of flower,” “run to the herd to get the calf,” and “hasten to prepare it.”

We encounter Martha and Mary in our Gospel. They too give an important lesson in hospitality. Through Martha we see one who opens the doors of her home to Christ and is willing to labor tirelessly for the needs of her guest. Through Mary we see one who sits attentive at the words of Christ taking them in. Both of these women display the virtue of faith. Faith which allows the Lord to enter into their home and dwell with them. 

Faith is not just a disposition of mind, but it must be put into action. Hopefully, we can come to invite the Lord to enter into our life and through this encounter share what we receive with others. If we are to become a welcoming community of faith, which shares the Gospel message to others, we need to come and know Christ. Through an encounter with Him we will have something to share. 

As we grow in hospitality may we not just go through the motions of it, but rather come to see the face of Christ in all those who we serve. I am humbled to be named the administrator of this parish community. Together I hope that we will continue to make this a place of hospitality where “all guests be welcomed as Christ.” This is the same missionary attitude we must undertake as we are sent into the world as disciples of the Lord.