Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Tuesday 2nd Week of Advent Homily

My mother handed me a twenty dollar bill and gave me the simple task of walking into a grocery store and purchasing a loaf of bread. The task was simple enough, but once I got to the bread isle I had realized that I had misplaced the twenty dollar bill. I was filled with so much fear at that moment because I knew that my mother would not be happy. All inside the world was blocked out for that brief moment as I franticly retraced my steps hoping to come across the money laying on the ground. Eventually I checked my pocket for what had to of been at least third time and the twenty dollar bill was miraculously there. Now that I had found what had been lost I was able to regain focus upon the world around me that I previously blocked out.

I am sure that each of us here have misplaced something and have followed the same pattern of events. When something important or dear to us gets misplaced we are filled with fear for that brief moment. The Shepard who lost one sheep had to of been filled with this same fear and concern. His concern was so great that he blocked out the fact that he had 99 other sheep and retraced his steps until he was able to find the one that had been lost. After finding this one sheep he was finally able to regain focus upon the world that was around him.

Each of us here today are preparing for the end of this academic semester. Some of us are overjoyed that the end is finally here, some of us fear a test or paper that lies on the horizon, and others are unsure of what life will hold for them after this year. May we who feel as if we are lost trust in the great Shepard who is Christ our Lord instead of trusting in the fear of the unknown that lies within our hearts. May we use the remainder of this 40 Hour Devotion to draw closer into union with Christ, so that we may be fed by this great Shepard. May our fears be calmed through the reception of this Eucharist, so that we may again set our focus upon the world around us and do so in connection to Christ our Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment